Friday, November 20, 2009

Fate Ch 1, Part 2

It was one of those days where you just want to stay in bed. Cold, gloomy, snowing/sleeting/freezing rain. And it was early…too early for a fourteen year old girl to want to awake up and go to the doctors. But just like my name, no mortal can escape the sound of my mother’s voice vaulting through the house and knocking you out of bed like a shrill, ear seeking missile.
“MOIRAE!!!!!!” my mother screamed, pronouncing my name More-ray. I cracked one brown eye open and held my breath. “MOIRAE ATHENA, WAKE UP!”
I moaned, rolled over, mumbling rude things under my breath. Slowly, yet not wanting to incur Selene’s wrath, I sat up. Stretching, running one hand through the knot of tangles that I call hair, I yawned widely. Throwing on my ratty, worn out robe, I headed downstairs. Halfway there my ears were assaulted by a canopy of noise. My father’s harsh laugh, my mother’s shrill voice yelling at him to turn down the TV. My brothers screaming and whining about the weather. Music mixed with news mixed with the booming voices of my family. I sighed, brushing back my messy brown hair, and descended into the chaos.
Let me tell you a little about my family. They are (with one exception) the stereotypical, big boned, brunette haired, dark eyed Greeks. My father was tall, my mother short, and I fell somewhere in between. My Greek/Irish twin brother, Apollo Nikoli was thirteen, full of moodiness and defiance, just like every other thirteen year old boy. Ares Darien, the middle brother, took after my father in looks, even at eleven. And there sitting at the kitchen table, looking like a mouse in a room full of elephants was my sister, Echo. Echo Leonora was a fragile child, lithe, lean, and only nine years old. My father used to half joke that Echo was the mailman’s child, a fair haired imp in the midst of dark haired, chubby humans. She was a special child, with a heart of gold. My brothers and I tried our best to protect little Echo from the evils of Central Jersey but lately her health seemed to be failing her. Worried (yet stoic) my parents were taking Echo to the nearest emergency walk-in clinic. And as the oldest child, I was going with them.


Comments/Suggestions welcome!
Peace,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment